Fit for Health
We’re back, but with a few changes
We’re so happy to be back delivering this programme again. Like everyone, we’ve had to adapt for COVID-19. Things might be a little different and not all our classes will be starting immediately but our friendly team of instructors are here to welcome you back and help you stay active with us in a safe, but most of all enjoyable way. For now, we can support participants in a range of ways, including in-venue classes, live streamed classes, pre-recorded classes and outdoor sessions.
Our team are contacting participants to let them know about this support. You can also get in touch with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 0131 458 2260.
About Fit for Health
Fit for Health is a 16 week physical activity referral programme delivered by Edinburgh Leisure in partnership with the Edinburgh Health & Social Care Partnership for people with long term health conditions. Classes are delivered across various Edinburgh Leisure venues. This physical activity programme is for those aged 16+ who have a long term health condition (e.g. cardiovascular disease, respiratory disease, heart failure, cancer, arthritis or diabetes/risk of developing diabetes).
Any health professional can refer to Fit for Health - this includes GP's, nurses and physiotherapists. Your health professional will be able to decide whether or not you are suitable for Fit for Health. If they think you are, they will complete a referral form and send it to the Active Communities Team at Edinburgh Leisure. You will be contacted to invite you to your nearest class. Weekly classes last for 1 hour and participants can attend these at no cost for the 16 weeks. On completion of your programme, Edinburgh Leisure will provide a range of options for you to continue your physical activity journey.
About Fit for Health
Fit for Health is here to support your needs and goals. We have designed the programme to ensure that it supports people with a range of health conditions and levels of fitness. There are now 5 options available. Please speak to your health professional prior to being referred to note your preference of activity choice.
- Studio based group activity; designed to work the whole body with a combination of upper and lower body exercises. Each exercise can be adapted to meet your needs and your level of ability. Over the course of the programme, you will increase your activity and reduce your rest time.
- Gym based sessions; for some people, going into the gym can be daunting. Fit for Health gym based classes are an opportunity for you to have your exercise programme designed for you with the guidance of a qualified instructor. The class will consist of showing you how to use different machines, what intensity you should be working at and giving you your own programme for you to work on for the duration of the course.
- Outdoors sessions: it is well known that being outdoors can have positive benefits to both our physical and mental health. With this in mind, Fit for Health is trialling an outdoor session at Craiglockhart Leisure and Tennis Centre delivered by a qualified instructor. The session will consist of a walk round the Craiglockhart Estate combining circuit-based exercises. All we need to do is hope for good Scottish weather!
- Live Streamed classes: coming back to our venues may not be an option for you yet but Fit for Health can still help. Fit for Health is delivering 4 Live Streamed classes each week where you can take part in an instructor led class in the comfort of your own home. All you need is access to zoom, a chair and bottle of water and a tin of beans.
- Pre-recorded sessions: we have created a pre-recorded class that you can access at your own convenience. This class includes warm up, 14 different exercises and a cool down. You can access this class at any time using this link click here Only attempt this class if you are feeling well enough to do so and ensure your workout space is safe and clear of hazards. If at any point you feel sick, dizzy, or ill, STOP and seek medical advice. Remember to stay hydrated throughout the class.
What to expect when attending your Fit for Health class
If you are returning to a Fit for Health Class or starting for the first time here is what to expect:
- Please wear a face covering when entering and moving around Edinburgh Leisure Venues – just like what you would do at the supermarket
- Please do not remove your face covering until you are within your allocated space in the studio
- Please don’t arrive any more than 5 minutes before your class starts and once finished please leave the building. We love to see you, but we have arranged our timetable to carefully manage the number of people in our building at any one time.
- Please remember to bring your Get Active leisure card, pre-filled water bottle and your resistance band (issued on your first session)
- Let the Active Communities team know if you can’t attend by contacting us by phone 0131 458 2260 or email email@example.com
- Please don’t attend if you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19
For more information about Fit for Health contact our Active Communities team on 0131 458 2260 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.